While the idea of only eating simple unprocessed foods is great, it can be challenging.
What is citric acid?
Citric acid is versatile, widely used, cheap, and safe. It is commonly sold as “sour salt” because of its resemblance to table salt. It is found in almost all living organisms as an important metabolite and is especially abundant naturally in citrus fruits and berries.
What is citric acid used for?
It is used:
- to provide tartness to balance the sweet flavors in soft drinks
- as an antioxidant and pH control agent in fruit drinks
- as an emulsifying agent to keep fats from separating in frozen desserts
- to prevent sucrose crystallization in caramel
- as a substitute for fresh lemon juice in recipes
Is citric acid safe?
Citric acid appears to be safe.