I thought it would be fun to just share are few historical food / nutrition events with you today. Cool?
• The word pizza was documented for the first time in 976 in Gaeta, Italy.
• Philadelphia claims to be the birthplace of American coffeehouses in 1702.
• The first record of ice cream in America was in 1744 in Maryland.
• John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich is credited for inventing the sandwich in the 18th century. The anniversary of his death is today.
• Protein is identified as the first macronutrient in 1833.
• Vitamin A was the first vitamin discovered in 1913.
• The first American food groups guide was published in 1917. The Five Food Groups were:
- Milk and Meat
- Vegetables and Fruits
- Fats and Fat Foods
- Sugary Foods
• Health Canada issued Canada’s first nutrient intake standards in 1938.
• Dunkin Donuts opened a store in the Philippines in 1981. Also I was born that year.
• Obesity and diabetes were declared global epidemics in 2009.
We covered coffee, ice cream, pizza, and sandwiches – that about covers my interests!