You have no idea how much I dislike the cold.
And around here, it’s getting into that time of year where it is colder indoors than it is outside.
I try to spend as much time outside as I can but when I’m working, I have to head indoors every once in a while just to charge my laptop battery. It’s a sad state of affairs.
So I’m hanging out in Starbucks right now, freezing my little butt off.
Along with my cool new job, I’ve been grading case studies out the wazoo, and tweeting like a mad woman for @SCANutritionDPG during the annual SCAN Symposium in Chicago.
SCAN is one of the professional nutrition groups that I belong to and it’s for Registered Dietitians with training, expertise, and passion for one of the following:
- Sports nutrition
- Cardiovascular health
- Wellness and weight management (including diabetes education and management)
- Prevention and treatment of disordered eating and eating disorders
I’m telling you about this now because there were so many good tweets already from people at the SCAN Symposium. They will keep tweeting all sorts of #ToolsYouCanUse for the next couple of days. These are also great people to know if you need help or have questions about any of the areas mentioned above. Click here to find a SCAN RD near you.
Okay, let’s get down to business!
You HAVE to watch this video.
Now I’m just going to skip right to the tweets, because like I said, they are gold!
- “Having a higher purpose is the secret to success” #inspiration href=”https://twitter.com/search?q=%23ToolsYouCanUse&src=hash”>#ToolsYouCanUse via @KatieRdATC
- “If you got one foot in & one foot out you’re never gonna get anything done.” #ToolsYouCanUse via @bigredmannyp
- Dr Deming says that “1/3 of all cancers are caused from obesity and inactivity.” What can you change? #toolsyoucanuse via @evelpearson
- Yes, #statins lower LDL but trials shows patients increase body wt. Lifestyle impacts risk of other chronic diseases! #ToolsYouCanUse via @EatRealLiveWell
- Cholesterol is a sterol, not a fat! You can’t burn it off w/exercise. Diet changes are critical. #ToolsYouCanUse via @NutritionCheck
- Yo, just cuz u’re on a statin to lower ur cholesterol doesn’t mean u can eat whatever u want and lay around like a sloth #ToolsYouCanUse via @Karin_Hosenfeld
- Alcohol can raise HDL cholesterol but can also raise triglyceride levels. #KnowYourNumbers#ToolsYouCanUse@SCANutritionDPG via @NutritionCheck
- Why are high Triglycerides bad on a blood test? It increases clotting time (ie ur blood becomes sticky). #NoBueno#ToolsYouCanUse via @Karin_Hosenfeld
- U can’t burn off familial hypercholesterolemia w exercise. #Diet MUST play role in lowering cholesterol #ToolsYouCanUse #@SCANutritionDPG via @Karin_Hosenfeld
- 83% adults online are searching for health info – just b/c it’s on the Internet doesn’t mean it’s true! #ToolsYouCanUse via @EatRealLiveWell
- The US could save $1.5 trillion in 5 years just by having Americans improve #diet quality. #ToolsYouCanUse via @EatRealLiveWell
- It’s pretty simple – a diet rich in fruits & veggies with whole grains and lean meats reduces mortality significantly #ToolsYouCanUse via @EatRealLiveWell