My name is Diana Leah Wilson and I’m a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist.
This means that I am have done all sorts of education and training and passed a really freakin’ difficult exam.
I’m an excellent test taker so if I say an exam is hard, I mean it!
Being a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist also means that I spend all day learning, thinking, talking, and writing about food, health, and nutrition.
But it occurred to me that it’s possible that you don’t spend your time the same way and perhaps you don’t even understand what nutrition is.
So I thought that might be something good to talk about. Cool?
Nutrition is really just the study of foods and health.
It is a science that focuses on foods, their nutrient and other chemical constituents, and the effects of food on body processes and health.
It brings together multiple disciplines including biology, chemistry, psychology, sociology, anthropology, statistics, and more to attempt to answer a number of questions including:
- Is obesity caused by diet, physical activity, genetics, or something else?
- How can you tell if a food is healthy?
- Is organic food more nutritious?
- Is high fructose corn syrup worse than sugar?
- Can a sports supplement give you a competitive edge for your 5K?
- What makes a healthy meal?
- What makes a healthy diet?
- How can you change your diet to lose weight?
I try to answer some of these questions in my posts but there is a lot to cover about nutrition!
It’s also a relatively new science which means we don’t have all the information yet and are constantly learning new things. I hope you enjoy learning with me!