It’s weekend time y’all!
I’ve been planting my garden a few minutes at a time over the past few weeks. This is my first year with time to garden but without a yard and I think it’s turning out well. Our balcony faces south so we basically have sun from sunrise to sunset – which is also a first for me … my gardens have always been super shady. Anyway, cross your fingers for me!
That’s my herb garden with basil, thyme, curry, parsley, oregano, and a strawberry plant.
We did four of these baskets full of pretty flowers.
And lastly, my vegetable garden: a tomato plant, two different hot peppers, and mint (peppermint and cat mint). The cats enjoyed the one cat mint leaf I let them have so far!
I think I’ll be doing some reading on the balcony this weekend and if you have similar plans, here are some articles I thought were interesting this week:
Sports Nutrition for Food-Sensitive Athletes from Eat + Run Blog
Can’t eat before running but have no energy if you don’t eat? Check this out.
Atherosclerosis: Ancient mummies had clogged arteries, too from Mother Nature Network
While it’s easy to blame our high cholesterol on the modern high fat, high sugar diet, research shows that mummies from thousands of years ago had clogged arteries too.
Steady weight gain in college causes health problems from Iowa State Daily News
Weight gain is a reality for about 70% of college students, even beyond the freshman 15. Here’s why, along with a few strategies to help you be part of the other 30%.
People eat more unhealthy foods on the days they drink from Reuters
Yet another reason alcohol increases daily calorie intake and causes weight gain.
Get in shape with the Fidel Castro diet! from Mail Online
The conclusion is that if you followed the advice from a few popular diet books, you could end up looking just like a Paleolithic French/Italian living in Manhattan two-and-a-half-million years ago. Who’s with me?
The Overnight Diet is the newest weight loss fad from Diets in Review
Lose weight by sleeping instead of exercising – sounds like a dream come true to me which brings me to Junk Science/ Fad Diet Red Flag #1: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Taco Bell promises better nutrition — by 2020 from USA Today
Yup, a whopping 20% of the combo meals will be less unhealthy by the time I’m 40.
For those of you that aren’t on twitter, I figured it might be worth sharing a few cool things that other people are sharing on twitter:
- @DrDavidKatz just nails it. Yes, everyone eats, but not everyone is a #nutrition expert. http://huff.to/152WVDn via @HealthyLiving #RDChat via @JanetHelm
- wow who knew you can make vodka from cows milk… http://shrd.by/X05L5D via @chowandchatter
- Spinach Stuffed #Mushrooms from Abuelo’s Mexican Eatery are cute as a button for sharing! mushro.ms/ZpPjTo via @MushroomChannel
- Lemon Chicken Pasta inspired by @chefjulieyoon . Added garlic, #mushrooms, sage. Recipe: bit.ly/16QaTqD4pic.twitter.com/XN0StXfKZB via @ChristysChomp
- We want to see your best photos of seasonal produce on @instagram! Enter our photo contest by using #CLpickfresh: ow.ly/jVLPu via @Cooking_Light
- What are you making for Grilled Cheese Month? Caramelized Onion & Mushroom Grilled Cheese by Uproot from Oregon | http://t.co/bTEC8LCxzB via @MushoomsCanada
- Yet another unusual salatim starter to our meal: spiced artichokes, sautéed mushrooms, pâté, house… http://instagram.com/p/YA_0pVOuo9/ via @MartinelliEats
- Add fresh mushrooms to a classic chicken stir-fry for a delicious #DinnerTonight: Wild Mushroom and Chicken Stir-Fry: http://ow.ly/jVEIM via @Cooking_Light
- Wide noodles, lots of cremini mushrooms and fontina cheese… a perfect pasta dish! http://bit.ly/Z5FhuI via @browneyedbaker
- Earthy mushrooms, bright lime juice, and rich coconut take center stage in a spicy noodle soup from @TheWrightCook: http://ow.ly/jSZx5 via @Food52
- whoa. TED video shows how mushrooms may save the world. 1.5M views http://www.ted.com/talks/paul_stamets_on_6_ways_mushrooms_can_save_the_world.html … simply amazing via @RaleighCityFarm
- This #veggie strata #recipe made w/kale,mushrooms,peppers & cheese is great for bfast, lunch or dinner!:http://ow.ly/jDx6H . #foodiechats via @ScritchfieldRD